Introduction To Unitised Cargo
Since an aircraft is divided into two major sections called lower and main deck respectively, unit load devices have been developed for both the decks. Since the last few articles discussed the lower deck containers, the coming articles will discuss the main deck unitised cargo variety. The current article will consider the AMH 10 Ft container, which is restricted to main flight deck.
Main Deck On Freighter Aircraft
Air freight is required to move fast and for this all operations around freight handling must be fine tuned for speed. Perfectly time operations procedures and equipment are mandatory for the smooth functioning of freight movement in the airline world. Air freight containers and pallets give the organisational framework for the freight space logic, loading equipment provide the transition from warehouse dollies to the apron and the final movement of the organised freight into the aircraft. The flooring of the aircraft is constructed to help the equipment to slide into pre-determined position. Slots and tie-down points help fasten the containers to the floor to keep them from moving while taxiing, take off, flight manoeuvres and while landing.
Ball Mat Area : Courtesy and © Airbus
Courtesy and © Airtransport
AMH 10 Ft Container (restricted to main deck)
- IATA Specification : AMH 10 Ft contour container
- Maximum Load Volume : approx. 16.5 cbm (cubic meters)
- Maximum Weight Tolerance (tie-down slots):907 Kg
- Maximum hanging load : 2500 Kg
- Inner Dimension : Length 306 cm x Width 230 cm x Height 240 cm
- Maximum Permissible Payload: 6804 Kg
- Aircraft : (wide body) MD-11F, B747F, B777F
Advice To Exporters
- Packaging should be strong and secure. Protection against manipulation should be provided. This applies to all air freight consignments
- If you have a lot of cargo, try using card board pallets to organise your freight (unless the weight of the consignment is too heavy)
- No overhang on pallets. This will reduce the volume available by taking up more room
- Inner packaging to be packaged tight (no wobbling of contents). Joints and slits to be sealed. Please inform the freight forwarder about any special handling requirements. If the consignment is valuable cargo, packaging should be able to withstand any kind of handling
- Please note: the freight forwarder will decide whether to use a container or not! Leave the decision to the air cargo agent to take this decision
- Freight forwarder will organise the freight in the best possible way. If the freight forwarder does not containerise the cargo, the airline will.
- The details given here are only for your general information
A Word Of Caution On Main Deck Load
This section does not concern the AMH container. Please do not compare the main deck loading possibility of B777 to that of B747. Although B777 is more modern in comparison to B747, there is a structural difference to the contour of the aircraft inside!! Please let the freight forwarder and the loadmaster decide. The loadmaster can advise you about dismantling your large freight .
Anybody needing help or advice to plan air freight Please get in touch using the contact form. However, consultation with your freight forwarder /air cargo agent cannot be stressed enough.
Experts in the field: please point out any errors or changes. A feedback from readers will be highly appreciated. Please share your thoughts by commenting. Any recommendation on bettering the content is welcome and will be highly appreciated.
A330F Main Deck Loading Procedure: Courtesy poor student for the video
References to air freight and unitised cargo
Air Cargo is any property carried or to be carried in an aircraft. Air cargo comprises air freight, air express and airmail. Contents. [hide]. 1 Aircraft types; 2 History.
General Air Freight is the lowest cost alternative for customers that do not have time-sensitive shipments and can wait for space available service.